News

 
Salcha Elementary students at Piledriver Slough

Education Snapshot: Eielson Regional Growth Plan

From Shelly Wade, Eielson Regional Growth Plan

We are excited to present the second Eielson Regional Growth Plan Snapshot #2Education and Early Childhood Development Demand, Capacity and Example Recommended Strategies for Addressing the Estimated Gap

What do we know about potential demand for education and early childhood development programs, services and facilities?

  • The F-35A Beddown at Eielson Air Force Base will bring an additional 1,930 individuals under the age of 17, for a total of 30,705 individuals age 17 and under in the FNSB by 2030.
  • Approximately 62 percent of these individuals will be school-age; the remaining 38 percent will be under the age of four.

What do we know about the FNSB capacity to meet increased education and early childhood development needs?

  • Overall, there is capacity to meet projected increased student population within the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District.
  • As of the 2016-2017 school year, the school district was at 79 percent capacity.
  • On-base child care at EAFB is at capacity; in recent months, the Air Force has successfully expanded provider capacity.
  • Air Force is in design phases to construct a new, $22.6 million replacement facility, projected to open in 2021 with a capacity for 240 school age children.

What are the potential gaps?

  • However, many individual schools near Eielson AFB are at capacity and may struggle to accommodate additional students.
  • Specifically, there may be a shortage of facility capacity for elementary and middle school age students, beginning in 2021-2022.
  • The FNSB community has a shortage of affordable infant and preschool age child care options.

Continue at eafbregionalgrowth.com