2017 Great American Defense Communities showcased
The Great American Defense Community Program program was designed by the Association of Defense Communities in conjunction with the House and Senate Defense Communities Caucuses to recognize and celebrate communities whose exceptional commitment to improve the lives of service members, veterans and their families as a model for all communities.
Selected communities for 2017 were announced in January. The nine communities are being recognized at the national level for their innovative efforts, which will become part of a growing collection of best practices that define the gold standard for great defense communities to follow. At the same time, the program works to celebrate the achievements of individual communities locally as a way to thank supporters and build support.
2017 Great American Defense Communities
- The Association of Defense Communities congratulates the 2017 Class of Great American Defense Communities:
- The Alamo – San Antonio Region, TX
- The Charleston Region, SC
- Christian County, KY
- The Fort Hood – Central Texas Region
- Hampton Roads, VA
- West Valley Partners, AZ
- Sierra Vista, AZ
- The Southeastern Connecticut Council of Governments
The following activities and program are planned for selected communities (subject to change):
- A special announcement in January and national media release will kickoff the program and announce the winners.
- The entire 2017 class will be showcased at ADC’s Installation Innovation Forum in February 2017.
- Between January and June, each community will organize and host a local events, in coordination with their Congressional members, base representatives and local community partners to celebrate their selection and recognize the work of their community. ADC will provide support in developing the event and will coordinate the presentation of the Great American Defense Community flag. Where possible, ADC leadership will participate in events.
- At the 2017 Defense Communities National Summit (June 2017), selected communities will be recognized at a special reception attended by members of Congress, DoD leaders and fellow communities.
- Also at the summit, selected communities will participate in a general session that will highlight innovative ideas, best practices and lessons learned.
- Each community will be highlighted in a special exhibit that will be displayed during the Capitol Hill reception and possible other locations.
- Finally, selected communities will be highlighted in a feature story of the 2017 edition of America’s Defense Communities magazine.